TOWN | FERRY RIDE(S)

East River Ferry
two weekends in a row we hopped on the east river ferry headed for different destinations and everyone who visits nyc should give it a try. taking the ferry provides great views, is very relaxing and you can get on and off at different places with ease (no subway stairs).

Photoville
the first weekend we visited photoville in brooklyn bridge park and although it was super-hot the exhibit was really interesting. different artists set up their work in shipping containers, which led to a broad variety of displays.

Photoville
gems by jane lindsay featured mug shots from the maricopa, arizona sheriff's office in tintype form and you can read her artist's statement about the piece here.

Brooklyn Bridge
the brooklyn bridge really is so beautiful.

Street Art
some street art actually painted on the street by david ellis in dumbo, brooklyn (see the full painting here).

Street Art
cool mural.

Schooner
the second weekend we took the ferry to governors island, which is located south of manhattan and offers, among other things, the most incredible views of the financial district and new jersey.

Colonel's Row
only accessible by ferry during the summer months, the island is just 2.2 miles around and features a variety of fun events like art workshops for children, glass blowing demonstrations and jazz age lawn parties where people get dressed up from the period.

Bicyclists
you can rent bicycles or trollies to peddle around, which i was doing while taking this photo.

Sculpture
there's currently wonderful sculptures by mark di suvero on loan from storm king.

Ferry & Liberty
and, a gorgeous view of the statue of liberty and staten island ferry. sure i had visions of gilligan's island while on what was a two hour ferry ride round trip, but doing new things in your own town ain't so bad. next up, maybe top of the rock for some night time skyline views.

xo, cindy

14 comments:

Deniz said...

yeay i am first i am first
*happy dance!*

i love boats and its amazing to see the different plances around ny. so beautiful and so different! gorgeous photography, naturally
thanks for taking me along for the ride!!

Unknown said...

wonderful pics Cindy!!!

painted fish studio said...

oh man, summer in the city sounds like so much fun. a ferry ride is definitely in my future!

Joyce said...

There is always something to do in your corner. I like the adventure you take us on. xo

blue moss said...

I was just watching a commercial for the u s open and wishing we could go this year (we decided to pay for college for m instead :)....and then I come visit your blog and go on a little trip with you and Scott. Some of it was a trip down memory lane... We took a ferry with the kids the last time we were there with them...and they loved it. And... I can't think of the Brooklyn bridge without thinking of the two of you ;). And some of it was new.... Thanks for the adventure

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for the tour! Great shots of the bridge and those cool murals. I'm getting ideas for NYC to visit, since my dad and step mom will be relocating to Princeton NJ, and we will get to see the big apple again! I'm excited.
I always have dreams with the Brooklyn bridge, even though I don't think I have ever really seen it in person, since we took the train into the city the last time. Perhaps it is because of all the movies using it. Anyway, the dreams are so intense, that perhaps in another life I had some connection to it??

aimee said...

oh... i can't wait to get on a ferry now! next trip in, i'm going to do it. have you been up to storm king yet? that's on the list too. wonderful and colorful pics!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

looks like fun Cindy! We took it a few weeks ago to South Street Seaport--what a nice way to transport yourself in this town!!! xoxoxo'

jane said...

Man! I wish I lived closer. Thank you for the tour. So wish I could have seen the photo exhibit. Will try for next year. :)
P.S. Thanks for your kind note Cindy.
X Jane

Michelle Brunner said...

Cindy,

Wow! You are so lucky to be around such interesting art! Glad you had a lovely time! I take a ferry every weekend to my parents' cottage and do not see half as many cool things as you did on your trip! Love your pictures as usual!

Tracy Altieri said...

Great photos!!

anopensketchbook said...

It's times like this that I'm jealous that I don't live in the 'The City'...such cool weekend jaunts. So much inspiration to be had!

Megan Coyle said...

wow, you did see quite a few gorgeous views :) I'll have to think about jumping on a ferry the next time I'm there!

Grace said...

Photoville soundS simply marvelous and right up my alley! I've been trying to convince my husband that we should move to where we don't need a car...why not NYC?!